Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) is a national non-profit organization established by Canadian public libraries to support the provision of accessible collections for Canadians with print disabilities and to champion the fundamental right of Canadians with print disabilities to access media and reading materials in the format of their choice, including audio, braille, e-text and descriptive video.
CELA Account & Technical Support:
(Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Eastern time)
Public Libraries Member Services:
Phone: 1-855-655-2273, press 2
( Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Eastern time)
- Registration with a Saskatchewan public library as a patron with print disability, and
- Registration with CELA as a patron with print disability.
CELA’s collection has books in English and French for all ages and interests, including books for preschoolers to adults; classics to bestsellers, biographies, cookbooks, self-help books and so on.
- Books and magazines in audio, e-text and braille
- Newspapers in e-text
- Described videos
- Children’s picture books with braille added (printbraille)
Patrons with print disabilities can receive accessible materials from CELA in several ways:
- Download books to their computer or a mobile device, such as an iPhone.
- Download books to a DAISY player over a wireless connection (without using a computer).
- Receive physical format DAISY discs, braille or described movies by mail direct to home.
Public library service options
CELA member libraries may provide materials for the use of their patrons with print disabilities in a number of ways. Libraries may use any or all of the following options:
- Request physical materials by Interlibrary loan (ILL).
- Request a deposit collection of DAISY books on CD. For more information on this service for libraries, visit:https://celalibrary.ca/public-libraries/deposit-collections
- Register eligible patrons for direct service from CELA (patron has their own CELA account and receives materials online or mailed to their home).
Public Library Service Offer to Patrons through CELA
- A growing collection of books, magazines, newspapers and described videos for every age and interest
- Format choice: audio, braille, described movies, accessible e-books
- Delivery options: Download to computer, handheld devices and DAISY player; CD and braille delivered by mail
- Access to Bookshare, the world’s largest accessible online digital library
- Bilingual collection and service
- Support for library programs, including the TD Summer Reading Club, book clubs and Community Reads
Click here for more information on CELA service and policies.